Thursday 13 December 2007

I'll Be Glowing in the Dark Soon



The whole brain radiation ended two weeks ago, and passed quite uneventfully.
Since then, however, my hair's fallen out (we shaved the remainder off, a couple of days ago. I looked like the stereotypical cancer patient, with wispy, moth-eaten hair. And I was leaving a trail of hair everywhere), and I've been very tired.. sleeping for 10-12 hours per night, and falling asleep in the day, too. I'm hoping that's a side-effects of the WBR, rather than an effect of the cancer.

Tomorrow, I'll be having the last of four sessions of radiotherapy to my pelvis, to hopefully help with bone pain.

It's been a very busy four weeks, with having to visit hospital almost every day. And some days, having to flit between Sheffield and Nottingham hospitals.
It feels very much like all my life is about now, is cancer and hospitals. And I've been doing some serious soul-searching about it all, recently.

Yesterday, I had a bone scan (more radiation.. I'll be glowing soon!) and CT scan, at Nottingham City hospital. And on Monday, I'll be having a heart scan.
All these are to decide whether I'm suitable for the Tykerb/lapatinib trial.
If I am suitable, and I'm accepted onto the trial, I should be starting treatment next Thursday.. just in time for christmas!
Talking of which, this is the third christmas in a row, I've been bald. Still, I'd rather be bald and alive, than be dead with beautiful hair!


I hope this chemo wont make me ill for christmas.
I'm all too aware that this could well be my last christmas, and I don't want to spend it being ill, in bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dee,

I hope that you are accepted on the trial and that you feel alright for Christmas.

Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year. I'll be thinking of you.

Best,
Tanya

Sepha said...

You'll be the original Christmas star!! ;) Glowing away....
Hope you're well enough to enjoy it. And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the trial - 'Happy Xmas - have some chemo'.....doesn't *quite* have the right ring to it, but it's the right sentiment.
Em