Thursday 20 December 2007

Happy Flamin' Christmas


As you'll know from my previous post, I had an echo heart scan, on Monday.
Today, I was told that the images they got weren't clear enough to work out my LVEF (left ventricula ejection fraction). And without my LVEF score, the drug company who manufacture Tykerb/lapatinib (GlaxoSmithKline), wont accept me onto the trial.
The plan was to start treatment today. It seems things never go according to plan.

I now have to wait for another echo (with contrast, this time), before I can start any treatment.
They wont do a muga scan, because it isn;t approved for that hospital. And if it's going to be done, it has to be done at the hospital where the trial's running. How stupid!
I could easily go get one done somewhere else. But no.. let's make life even more difficult for you, because that's just what you need!
How long will I be waiting?
How long's a piece of string?
It's christmas, isn't it. So I can't imagine it's going to be soon.

And while all this waiting's going on, I feel sick most of the time, can't eat much at all (I don't know if this is side-effects of the wbr - though I'm pretty sure the nausea side-effects should have passed by now - or if it's down to the cancer. It started quickly, and it seems to be worsening quickly), have lost half a stone in 2 weeks, and the pain in my liver area's getting worse.
It's all pretty damn scary, I can tell you.

Meanwhile, amidst the waiting, while I'm not having any treatment, the cancer appears to be having it's very own christmas party, in my body.
Speaking to a rushed and flustered oncologist today, who virtually ran into the consulting room, threw results at me, and ran out again (after waiting almost 3 hours, of course), it felt like a series of bombs going off, in my little world..

"You can't start the trial.. or any treatment, for that matter.. because the photos we tried to get of your heart, aren't pretty enough" ... *BOOM!*

"There's further disease progression in your bones" ... *BOOM!*

"You now also have a 1.7cm tumour in your lung" (previous to this, my lungs have been 'clear') ... *BOOM!*

"The biggest tumour in your liver, that was believed, only a couple of weeks ago, to be 3cm, measures 6cm on the CT scan" ... *BOOOOM!*


If anyone would like to throw any more shit at me, this festive season, now is the time!


So I have the whole collection now. Breast cancer that's spread to my bones, liver, lungs, and brain.
It's becoming increasingly difficult to remain hopefull. This cancer's relentless. Things aren't looking great.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Dee, these are terrible news. Hope that despite of all this you can still enjoy Christmas, so Merry Christmas to you! Much love, Brigitte

Anonymous said...

Dee, I am very sorry to hear of all the bombs dropped on you at once and in such a crappy way. I hope that amidst all that s**T, you can find some peace this Christmas and some valuable time with family and other loved ones. I'll be thinking of you.

Hugs,
Tanya

Anonymous said...

Dee, So sorry to hear the bad news. All you can do is try to get through each day and keep praying for a miracle. I'm glad that you have loving family around you. Let them spoil you and spend all the time you can with the.

You're in my thoughts.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Hiya
Keep coming to check and see how you're doing... but no postings for a while...
Hope you are ok.

x